Rowing Boat hire
Go for a row on Windermere
People have been enjoying the Lake District by rowing boat since the 19th Century. Our rowing boats are designed and maintained to replicate the traditional boats you'll see on old postcards, making them both sturdy for everyone to enjoy, and beautiful for those memorable photo moments.
Located between Bowness and Ambleside, Brockhole on Windermere is the best place to hire rowing boats in the Lake District. Avoid the crowds of Bowness, instead, relax and admire the breathtaking Lakeland scenery that surrounds the northern basin of Windermere.
What you will need
- Boat and oars*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold!
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from the shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
*We provide these for you
Our rowing boats are perfect to get everyone out on Windermere. Our friendly lakeshore team will help you have that memorable moment on the water. We will teach you the basics of rowing and balance.
Please book in advance to guarantee availability.
Rowing boat hire prices
1 or 2 people, for 1 hour: £22.50
3 or 4 people, for 1 hour: £27.50
5 or 6 people, for 1 hour: £32.50
Remember, if you're the person rowing, sit with your back to the front of the boat (the pointy end) and you'll find it much easier. This also means you avoid seeing us at the end of the jetty waving our arms around.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Brockhole on Windermere to avoid disappointment.