Canoe Hire on Windermere
Canoe hire is currently only available if you have your own 3mm+ wetsuit to wear, and this must be worn for the duration of the hire.
In order to book a Canoe you can call us on 01539 440270 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Why you should canoe on Windermere
Canoeing is often seen as 'the dry option' when it comes to paddlesports. Canadian canoes are larger and more 'boat like' than kayaks and paddleboards, this makes them the perfect way to explore Windermere at your own pace.
Brockhole on Windermere is the best place to hire a canoe in the Lake District. Pick up a sandwich from our Garden Shed cafe and enjoy a day paddling around England's largest lake in the safety of your canoe.
What you will need for your canoe adventure
- Canoe and paddle(s)*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold!
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from the shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
- Packed lunch (optional but why not?)
*We provide these for you.
Canoeing is a relaxing way to explore Windermere safely. Our friendly lakeshore team will help you have an unforgettable canoe experience on Windermere. We will teach you the basics of balance, paddling, as well as falling off and getting back in.
Please book in advance to guarantee availability.
Canoe hire prices
1 or 2 people for 1 hour: £22.50
2 adults and a child for 1 hour: £27.50
Hire Canadian canoes for up to 2 adults and 1 child. The person signing responsibility for the Canoe must have previous experience of Canadian Canoe's.
Two tips to make the most of your day
Canoeing is a great way to explore, these tips will make it much easier for you to enjoy:
1) Paddle on opposite sides of the boat. This will make sure you carry on going forward and don't spin around in circles or spend the day weaving around.
2) Paddle in sync with your partner. Find your rhythm. It is the bow (front) paddlers job to set the pace, and it is the role of the stern (back) paddler to match that tempo. This ensures that you are maximizing your forward momentum.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Brockhole on Windermere to avoid disappointment.
Please note we cannot guarantee a parking space in our car park, so please leave plenty of time to park elsewhere (details here) but we try to give priority to those pre-booked onto an activity.