Aim like an Amazon, sail like a Swallow - share your adventure!
Discover a true taste of the Lake District by land and by lake. Rope in your friends and family for an action packed summer to remember!
The wait is almost over for the big screen adaptation of Swallows and Amazons, the beloved novel by Arthur Ransome. We have to say the film has got us very excited here at Brockhole and we can’t wait to unleash our inner adventurer.
Whether you enjoyed the book as a child, watched the film first time round, or you are excitedly awaiting the 19 August for your first Swallows and Amazons adventure – we’d like to invite you to Brockhole to try some of our activities, right here in the heart of the real Lake District!
The film tells the story of the Walker children, whose summer family holiday in the Lakes sees them sailing their boat ‘Swallow’ to a local island, only to find themselves in competition with a rival group of children who call themselves the Amazons. As they battle for ownership of the island, the children learn the skills of survival and the value of friendship…
We asked our very own Dan to share some of his Swallows and Amazons style adventures...
Swallows and Amazons inspired fun at Brockhole
This summer we have tons of activities on offer that you will simply not want to miss. Alongside all our usual favourites such as the adventure playground, Terrace Cafe, Pony rides, Mini Golf, Bike hire and woodland trails we thought we would pick out some of our favourite Swallows and Amazons style activities for you to try:
- Aim like an Amazon! – Join Dan and the team, sharpen your arrows and discover the ancient sport of archery in spectacular surroundings right by Windermere and looking across to the Langdales. Sessions take place every day of the summer holidays at 10.30am,12pm,1.15pm, 2.30pm and 3.45pm and are just £8.00. Book online now.
- Take to the lake – by canoe, kayak, rowing boat or paddleboard, the choice is yours, we have a great selection of watersports on offer down on the shore. Discover secret beaches and feel the wind in your hair, don’t forget to pop to our brand new Lakeshore Café for a well-earned refuel after your trip! Book your activities online now.
- Have fun exploring on our unique Swallows and Amazons Trail - available everyday for just £3.00, pick up your adventure map from the shop - prizes for everyone!
- Arthur Ransome Exhibition - we have some unique props from the film and exclusive Arthur Ransome Trust original drawings and information all about the beloved author. Find out more about when the exhibition opens so you can plan your visit this August.
- Swing through the trees – if John, Roger, Nancy, Susan and friends had time to develop Wildcat Island we are pretty sure they would have loved a zip wire, treetop tower and a maze of rope bridges. Book in advance for Treetop Trek and Nets and swing, climb, balance and fly your way through 250 year old oak trees!
Hopefully you’ve got some ideas for your summer adventure and we’d love to see you here at Brockhole soon. In the meantime you can find out more about planning your visit and the full selection of attractions and activities we have on offer.
Looking for even more adventures in the National Park?